The Easy Croydon Rave: Partying South of London

croydon-raveLondon is known for its busy and bright rave scene — it is, after all, one of the cities in which the whole deal started. Interestingly, in the beginning, these raves were legal, but as they became increasingly associated with drugs and other seedy aspects of the underground culture, they were, for all of their creative flair and energetic dancing, banned under the law. This, of course, never stops anything, and raves continued to be organised and executed all over the country. And this continues today — but, if you keep an eye on the news, you’ll certainly know this.

I am talking, of course, about the recent rave that took place in East Croydon, south of London. The event, which took place at a disused sorting office in the municipality, attracted an estimated 1,300. Partygoers dressed for the occasion, many sporting glow sticks and other such apparel, and spent the night dancing to performances given by DJs playing mostly new songs from their repertoire. The exceptional number of people in attendance is due to the event’s having been advertised widely on Facebook (and possibly on other social networks, as well), primarily by people roughly around the age of 18 years old.

Not all raves are roiling centers of absolute madness, as the media tends to try to convince the population in general, but sometimes, things do go wrong, and that was certainly the case at the disused warehouse. Multiple attendees said the rave was “crazy”, initially in a positive sense, but, later, in reference to panic and violence that broke out for reasons as-yet undetermined. Sixteen people were arrested in relation to the rave, nine during the event itself; the windows of one police van were smashed in; and missiles were thrown at officers who attempted to stop people from getting close to the building.

Multiple injuries have been recorded, and, lamentably, one death, that of 15 year old RIo Andrew, who fell ill at the event. The particular details of the death have not been recorded, but the police are, appropriately, responding to the tragedy by attempting to determine who is responsible for advertising such events in order to curtail their occurrence. Given the information currently available, it does not seem as if Mr Andrew did anything especially irresponsible, and as such, there is a vigorous investigation into the details of his death, so as to ensure that those responsible, if there is indeed a guilty party, will be brought to justice.

The police force cite this event as an example of why parties of this sort must be regulated and registered. If someone falls ill at a sanctioned event, there is much greater probability of their being attended to properly, which may have been enough, in this instance, to save a life. More news is being gathered by those investigating, and will be circulated as soon as it is made available.